Change the Future WV
What is Change the Future WV?
Change the Future WV is part of the Community Transformation Grants funded through the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Through this grant, West Virginia was divided into four regions to be covered by local health departments. The Mid-Ohio Valley Health Department is covering Region One which includes Brooke, Calhoun, Doddridge, Hancock, Harrison, Marion, Marshall, Monongalia, Ohio, Pleasants, Preston, Ritchie, Roane, Taylor, Tyler, Wetzel, Wirt, and Wood counties. This program’s goal is to create healthier communities by making healthy living easier and more affordable where people work, live, learn and play.
The three strategic directions used for this grant are:
Reduce Tobacco Use and Exposure to Environmental Tobacco Smoke
1. Support for Comprehensive Clean Indoor Air Regulation Implementation
2. DHHR Tobacco-Free Environment Policy Development
3. Smoke/Tobacco-Free Foster Homes through Healthy Foster Homes Initiative
Improve Nutrition and Physical Activity
1. Implement Farm-To-School Initiatives
2. Healthy Grocer, Convenient Store and Farmer’s Market Initiatives
3. Child Care Center and Day Care Center Nutrition Programs
4. Healthy School Breakfast/Lunch Program Expansion
5. Increased healthy food options and fresh fruits and vegetables in Foster Homes
6. Increase Physical Activity in Schools and Child Care
7. DHHR Flextime Policy to Encourage Increased Physical Activity
Strategies to Support High Impact Clinical and Preventive Health Services
1. Support the development of community coordinated care systems that link and build referral networks between clinical provider systems and community based lifestyle change programs
2. Increase the availability of evidence-based lifestyle change programs in communities
3. Improve care coordination and family-centered care for children in foster care.
If you would like to find out more information about Change the Future WV including what is being done in your county and ways to make your community healthier, please visit our website at changethefuture.wv.gov.